Library History - The story of how we came to be!
Our Staff - Email and phone number to each dept. head.
Friends of EOPL - Make a difference. Join our Friends group.
Newsletters & PR - PDFs of our monthly Gazette. Requires Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Library Policies - The boring stuff but you have a right to know.
East Orange Public Library - a nice place to visit, a great place to work. Download a
HOW TO GET A LIBRARY CARD
Adult (18 yrs and older)
Adults must present proof of residency which consists of a current government issued photo ID with an East Orange address. Otherwise must present
a Photo ID and current official mail dated within the last 30 days.
Official Mail Includes: utility bill; credit card bill; telephone bill; lease or rental agreement; printout of current online bill statement;
MV Registration; or insurance card. Online registration and renewals are available for anyone that does not have the proper proof of residency.
P.O. Boxes are not acceptable. Personal mail, junk mail, magazine subscriptions or bulk mail is not acceptable.
Young Adults (8th thru 12th grade) and Children (6th & 7th grade)
Young Adults and Children must present 2 of the following current items: school report card, school schedule, school photo ID, state issued photo ID,
or college mail addressed to the young adult or to the parents of the young adult. OR their parent may come in with the student and present the above Adult information. If student is not able to provide a piece of acceptable information with their current address, they will be
issued an East Orange Public Library Student card, and it will expire on August 31.
Children (Pre-K thru 5th grade)
Children must be present when parent applies for the card. The parent/Guardian must bring in the
item(s) required for the Adult card.
East Orange Employee
East Orange Employees must present a current pay stub with employee name and address printed on the stub and a current photo ID.
East Orange Property Owners
East Orange Property Owners must present a current East Orange property tax or utility bill and a valid photo ID.
EOPL ReBL Patrons
Patrons in good standing may apply for a County Library Card which will allow them to use participating libraries in Essex County. This card requires the same ID as an East Orange Library Card and is valid for the current calendar year.
ReBL Patrons from Visiting Libraries
ReBl Patrons from visiting libraries must present a current home library card with ReBL sticker attached and a current photo ID.
ABOUT YOUR CARD
- Regular Library cards are valid for three years and must be renewed every 3 years.
Student Library cards expire on August 31 and must be renewed within the new school year.
- Library card must be presented to check out materials.
- Parents or legal guardians are the responsible parties for their children’s account.
- Library cards are to be used by the responsible party to whom the card was issued. Violation of this policy may result in termination of
the library card.
- Lost or stolen library cards should be reported immediately, either via phone, email to email@example.com,
or in person. Patrons are responsible for any items checked out on their card until the card is officially reported stolen.
- Library Cards are free. If you wish to purchase a Combo Card, with a key tag card, there is a 50¢ fee.
- Visitor Passes for computer use are available for $1 for one hour. Maximum purchase is two passes at one time.
- Computer printing is 10¢ per page.
- Photocopies are 15¢ per page.
- Newly Released books: 14 days
- Job / Careers Collection: 14 days
- Urban Fiction Collection: 14 days
- Graphic Novel Collection: 14 days
- Audio Book Collection: 14 days
- Junior Materials: 14 days
- Magazines: 7 days
- Other Books: 28 days
RENEWAL OF MATERIALS
- Books may be renewed two times.
- The following items are not renewable:
Entertainment DVD / VHS,
Items on hold for another patron,
Inter-Library Loan Books,
- Renewal can be done in person, by phone, or online either one day before the due-date or on the due-date.
- Overdue materials can only be renewed in person.
BORROWING LIMITS AND BOOK REQUESTS
- Totals # of Items: Adults - 10, Young Adults – 8, Children - 5
- DVD / VHS: Adults 18 years and over: 4
- Nonfiction: 4 books per subject
- Audio Books: 4 per library card
- Urban Fiction: 4 per library card
- Graphic Novels: 4 per library card
- Adult patrons 18 years and over may request 3 items at a time through Inter-library Loan.
- Patrons may place holds on 4 items at a time.
- ReBL patrons cannot borrow DVD / VHS items, job and career materials, or magazines; or request Inter-library Loans.
DVD/VHS LOAN PERIOD, FEES AND FINES
- Newly Released DVDs: $2 for 3 nights
- Other DVDs: $1 for 3 nights
- Entertainment VHSs: Free for 3 nights
- Educational DVDs/VHSs: Free for 7 nights
- Only Educational DVD/VHS items are renewable.
- Late DVD/VHS: $2 a day per item
- Late Educational DVDs/VHSs: $1 a day per item
- All DVD/VHS items must be returned in person. Please don’t put these items in the drop box.
Violation of this policy will result in a $2 per item fine and the cost of item if damaged due to placing it in the drop box.
- Adult and Young Adult items: 10¢ per day per item
- Children’s Books: 5¢ per day per item
- Lost Library Cards: 1st Replacement, $1; 2nd, $2; 3rd, $3; 4th, $4; and 5th replacement and more, $5
- Missing barcodes or security tags: $5.00 per barcode or security tag
- Missing DVD or VHS cases: $2.00 per item
- Hold items not picked up: 50¢ per item
- Inter-library Loan items not picked up: $1.00 per item
- Materials cannot be borrowed once a Junior Patron’s Card has accrued $1 in fines or an Adult Patron’s Card has accrued $3 in fines.
- Computers cannot be used once a patron’s card has accrued $5 in fines.
ACCEPTABLE FORMS OF PAYMENT
- Cash (no bills larger than $20).
- Debit / Credit cards ($5 minimum).
- Check with proper identification and phone number ($5 minimum); sorry no starter checks. $30 fee for each returned check.
LOST AND DAMAGED MATERIALS
- Patron must pay Library’s purchasing price of the material, plus all applicable fines and a $10 processing fee for books, DVD/VHS items and
Audio Books and magazines.
- A refund for the price of the item may be issued for materials if found and returned in good condition within 30 days of payment.
Processing fees and fines are non-refundable.
- All refunds are issued by check via mail.
- Patrons may not bring in a replacement copy of the item.
- Staff will inspect the item for damage upon return.
- Patron should inform the staff of any damage prior to checking an item out.
OTHER HELPFUL INFORMATION
All transaction of monies, library card registration/renewals, and CIT class registration will end 15 minutes prior to closing.
Approved by the Board on 1/11/90.
Revised on 8/6/12.