The Beginning of East Orange
Timothy W. Mulford’s wheelwright shop, on the left, on Main Street between Walnut and Burnet Streets was the site of the election of the first Township Committee, on April 16, 1863, after the separation from Orange. Township Committee meetings were first held in the office of Moses H. Williams at 251 Main Street (Stuart, Mark A., and Jessie W. Boutillier. A Centennial History of East Orange. East Orange, NJ: East Orange Centennial Committee, 1964).