The Beginning of the Library

Elmwood Branch

About...

The East Orange Free Public Library, as we know it, began in 1900 when the mayor and city council voted to establish a library and appointed a board of trustees. Construction plans for the new municipal library were accepted December 27, 1900. This photo shows the laying of the cornerstone on a lot at the corner of Munn Avenue and Freeway Drive East (then Main Street) on October 29, 1901. The new building was officially opened on January 22, 1903.